NOW HIRING: MECHANIC
Carbondale Park District has an opening available for a Full Time Mechanic in the Park Maintenance Department. Interviews to begin September 1. If you have any questions, contact Randy at 618-529-4149. The Carbondale Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
NATURE OF WORK:
This position is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the department’s vehicles and equipment. Work involves diagnosing problems, repairing, and performing preventative maintenance on a wide variety of vehicles and equipment, fabricating parts, welding and doing body work. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Park Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs maintenance on all vehicles and equipment including tractors, trucks, mowers, stumpers, chippers, loaders, etc. Diagnoses problems with equipment either at the garage or work site.
- Welds, uses cutting torch and carbon arc.
- Repairs diesel and gas engines, brakes, transmissions, hydraulics, electrical systems, air lines and all other supporting equipment.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Fabricates parts, performs body work and minor painting.
- Travel to obtain necessary equipment and supplies to perform repairs and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Requires experience in mechanical and/or automotive repair and technical training beyond the high school level in mechanical maintenance or related field, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skill.
- Considerable knowledge of tools, equipment, materials, method, and practices used in the automotive or mechanical trades.
- Considerable knowledge of automobiles, heavy equipment, small engines, and related equipment.
- Ability to drive a truck and other heavy equipment.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical failures and defects and take the necessary corrective action.
- Ability to use diagnostic equipment in the analysis of vehicle and equipment problems.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with other employees, and to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Skill in operation and maintenance of power and hand tools.
- Skill in welding, cutting, and brazing.
- Valid commercial driver’s license and good driving record.
- Email the application to info@cpkd or mail to:
Carbondale Park District
Attn: Randy Montgomery
PO Box 1326
Carbondale, IL 62903
- Interviews begin September 1, 2020.