FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE UPDATED January 22 at 2:30pm .
APPLICATION DEADLINE FEBRUARY 15, 2020.
Carbondale Park District is Seeking Superintendent of Recreation
CARBONDALE, IL – Carbondale Park District is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Superintendent of Recreation. See full job description below. Print an application here or visit the LIFE Community Center to pick up a paper copy. (Located at 2500 West Sunset Drive, Carbondale, Illinois. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment at 618-549-4222.) Applicants should send resume, completed job application, and two letters of reference to P.O. Box 1326 Carbondale, IL 62903-1326. Application deadline is February 15, 2021.
Carbondale Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Description – Superintendent of Recreation
NATURE OF WORK
The Superintendent of Recreation is the head of the Recreation Division. The Superintendent plans, organizes, and administers a diversified. recreation program for the community. The Superintendent is responsible to the Executive Director of the Carbondale Park District for the employment and performance of recreation personnel. The Superintendent of Recreation is a fulltime position with benefits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Administer the establishment and implementation of a diversified recreational program for the community.
- Prepare recommendations for the Districts capital improvement program.
- Supervise recreation personnel in keeping with the Park Districts personnel policies.
- Recommend salaries, promotions, and other status changes for the recreation personnel.
- Recruit, interview, and hire personnel to be employed in the Recreation Division. Responsibility for hiring personnel may be delegated to recreation coordinators or supervisors as appropriate.
- Develop and conduct in-service training programs for recreation personnel.
- Prepare recommended departmental program budget.
- Maintain adequate fiscal controls to assure that Recreation Division costs are within budgetary limitations.
- Develop inventory systems and replacement schedules for all recreation equipment and supplies.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Prepare bid specifications for the purchase of recreation supplies.
- Prepare reports concerning departmental activities as directed.
- Propose long-range plans for departmental organization and operation.
- Establish good working relationships with other agencies both public and private.
- Represent the District in meetings as assigned.
- Recruit and supervise field work students and/or graduate interns as assigned.
- Evaluate personnel and programs on request.
- Develop community interest in recreation programs through interpretative talks and participation in interagency task forces and committees.
- Be familiar with master plans, Park District Code, financial operations, pertinent ordinances, and reports.
- Be familiar with the Park District’s rules and regulations, personnel policies, and the Districts Mission Statement.
- Perform other planning or leadership responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Ability to supervise personnel of varied skill levels and delegate authority wisely.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, and adequately represent the operations and policies of the District.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to organize a wide range of tasks efficiently.
- Ability to assign appropriate priority to tasks.
- Ability to plan, develop, and evaluate projects.
- Skills in written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of fiscal procedures and management techniques.